I deep cleaned my mattress last night using the instructions from doterrablog.com. It was SUPER easy to do and I had the best night’s rest I’ve had in a very long time. I’ve included the directions here with some extra tips so you can have a healthier night’s rest too!
For deep cleaned mattresses:
1. Remove all linens from bed and wash in hot water
2. In a mason jar mix:
- Baking Soda: 1 cup for a queen, 1/2 cup for a twin
- Essential Oil: 10 drops for a queen, 5-6 for a twin (See below for essential oil recommendations)
3. Use a sifter to evenly spread the mix over the entire top of your mattress. I also did my pillow.
4. Let it sit for one hour
5. Vacuum up the mix
6. Put on clean linens and sleep the sleep of the dead!
7. Repeat every 2-3 months or as often as necessary/desired
Essential oils to consider using:
To kill dust mites be sure to use: peppermint, wintergreen, or eucalyptus
To help you sleep add: Orange, Citrus Blend, or lavender to the mix
To help with respiration: Just a respiratory blend which has peppermint & eucalyptus (and a couple others) which will help your entire respiratory system (may help with snoring too!) as well as killing the dust mites! (Note that it’ll just help for a day or two. To get nightly respiratory aid use a respiratory blend in a diffuser nightly.)
Personally I used three drops each of peppermint and lavender on my mattress. Peppermint to freshen, detract spiders, and kill the dust mites. Lavender to soothe and help me sleep better. Next time I’m thinking I’ll do peppermint and my favorite blend, Citrus Blend. Feel free to experiment!
You can also use these steps (minus the linen ones) to deep clean carpet and upholstered furniture. A few months ago I did lavender and lemon on my carpet. It smells wonderful and the carpet was so clean!
If you don’t like the way an oil smells, just use a different one! There are plenty to choose from!
Goodbye dust mites! Hello beautiful sleep! 😀